2. GOT PLANS FOR JULY 4TH? Check out the July 4th Extravaganza at the Fleet ASW Base (Near Airport in Pt. Loma)! Fun for all ages, including a great fireworks show, kid zone, vendors, games, entertainment, and a live band! Admission is free for all active duty, their families, and their sponsored guests. For more info, call (619) 524-0961. Fun starts at 4 pm and culminates in a spectacular fireworks show from 9 pm - 9:20 pm, with live music choreographed to the show! The event will be held at the ASW Base, on the lawn in front of the Admiral Kidd Club, located at Harbor Drive and Laning Road. Bring your own lawn chairs and blankets...and celebrate the fourth in style! For more info on this event or other great Armed Services YMCA programs, call (619) 232-9084 or visit www.asymcasd.org
3. USO OFFERS FREE "SPA DAY" ON JULY 16TH! Don't wait to reserve a spot at the Downtown USO's annual SPA DAY, on Saturday, 7/16 from 1 pm - 4 pm. One of the USO's most popular events, this program offers massage therapy, facials, make-up advice, hair styling tips, paraffin treatments and fitness/life coaching experts!!! This event is by RESERVATION ONLY for active duty military and dependents. Call TODAY to reserve your spot! Call Emily at (619) 235-6503. The USO is located at 303 A Street in Downtown San Diego.
4. DON'T FORGET FREE TUESDAY NIGHT DINNERS AT YOUR DOWNTOWN USO! Free, buffet-style dinners are served to active duty and their families each TUESDAY from 6 pm - 6:30 pm! All active duty, reservists, or family members welcome! During the meal, kids can enjoy the newly renovated Kids Playroom. Also, the USO offers a computer lab with high speed internet and web cams, open until 9 p.m. Great way to stay in touch during deployments!
5. MILITARY FREE BREAD MINISTRY: Do you know about this non-profit organization serving ALL military families? Free bread is available at 8 distribution points from 11:30 am - 6 pm on various days of the week. Sites remain open until all the bread is gone. Bread is donated by local merchants and free for military families! For more information on specific schedules and other information, contact Heidi Martin at (858) 505-9086 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Locations include:
- 980 Pepperdine Ct. Chula Vista
- 91913 10138 Epperson Way San Diego, CA 92124
- 10103 Hooper San Diego, CA 92124
- PSD, NASNI, BLDG 515
- 10383 Bordelon St San Diego CA 92124
- 3036 Taussig San Diego CA 92124
- 1156 Palau Rd. Coronado, 92118
- 3637 Bordelon CT San Diego CA 92124
6. FREE PERSONAL GROWTH & MARRIAGE ENRICHMENT RETREATS: Keep these dates! And please spread the word... These FREE retreats are offered by the Spiritual Fitness Center Southwest (formerly CREDO). These free retreats are open to anyone with a valid military ID (active duty, retirees, reservists, and family members). Led by Navy Chaplains, these retreats are truly wonderful opportunities to re-focus, get away from it all, and learn something about yourself. Visit www.cnrsw.navy.mil/credo to access the dates, more information, and to register online - or call (619) 532-1437 for more information. If you live in the North County area, contact CREDO Camp Pendleton at (760) 725-4954 for retreats near you.
- Personal Growth Retreat from August 30-Sep 1 (midweek): Held at Camp Wynola in Julian, CA, this retreat allows individuals to enjoy nature, understand themselves better, and develop new perspectives on their personal relationships with families, friends, shipmates, etc. Many participants describe this retreat as a "turning point" in their lives! Free transportation is available, and accommodations are also absolutely free!
- Marriage Enrichment Retreats:
July 8-10 in Ventura, Marriott
July 29-31, Alpine, Country Inn
August 26-28 in Alpine, Country Inn
Sep 9-11, Monterey
Marriage Enrichment Retreats help couples discover ways to keep their marriages growing, and how to handle inevitable conflicts. Participants become closer as couples by strengthening emotional, physical, and spiritual aspects of their marriage. Both spouses are encourage to attend a Personal Growth Retreat, but prior attendance is not required. Retreats accommodations are free! They fill up fast so register today!
*Due to operational commitments, schedule subject to change. Please visit www.cnrsw.navy.mil/credo for updated information.
7. WANT A JOB? CHECK OUT THE UPCOMING FLEET & FAMILY SUPPORT CENTER (FFSC) JOB FAIR! Bring copies of your resume, come dressed for success, and ready to interview! Talk directly with employment recruiters and gather career information. Career fair open to all service members, reservists, transitioning active duty, retirees, and their family members! Check out great local and national opportunities, in the fields of administration/clerical, high tech, electronics, federal employment, law enforcement, Fortune 500 companies, industrial/mechanical, retail/sales, and more!
When: Thursday, September 8, 2005 from 10 am - 2 pm (Please arrive no later than 1:30 pm)
Where: Scottish Rite Center, Mission Valley, 1895 Camino Del Rio South, San Diego, CA 92108
For more information, call FFSC at (619) 556-9866. Your FFSC Career Support is standing by to offer FREE personalized resume assistance, resume writing workshops, mock interviews, assistance with job-searching, a free computer lab, free fax and copier for sending out resumes, information for transitioning military personnel, information for spouses on education and employment programs specifically for them, and so much more! Visit www.cnrsw.navy.mil/fsc to find the FFSC nearest you!